Wednesday 4 November 2009

Pefkos Cats



Dear sir or madam,

I have recently returned from holiday in Pefkos and am deeply concerned over the welfare of a wild colony of young cats who lived within the grounds of the Finas Hotel Apartments. They were beautiful creatures, many extremely young, however we heard while we were in the hotel that the locals plan to kill them every year by poisoning once the tourists have left. I am so angry that human beings would treat these wonderful sentient beings so horrifically, especially when such a tourist trade is made out of using the images of such cats to sell calendars and other holiday souvenirs. I am sure that you will agree how sickening and duplicitous such goings-on are!

I have two beautiful cats of my own back here in England who live the life of luxury and I felt so deeply saddened by the potential fate of these beautiful Greek cats that I wished, and still wish that I could have brought them all back with me to safety.

Please could you advise me as to whether there is anything that can be done to save these beautiful creatures? I enclose pictures of some of the cats and can give you likely locations for where they usually live.

I very much look forward to hearing back from you. I don't think that an hour has passed when the issue of these cats' welfare hasn't troubled me since my return.

Yours faithfully,
C.C.

3 comments:

  1. We have just returned from our first Greek holiday which was also in Finas hotel, Pefkos. We also were extremely taken with all the cats and kittens that came to our balcony and the dinner table to beg for food. We want to do something for the cats of Pefkos and I believe the travel companies, ie Olympic, must take some responsibility on this issue. I would very much like to hear from you and perhaps we can join forces and do something for our lovely friends at Finas. E-mail me at leatherislands@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. the main reason why in pefkos they poison the cats is because during the summer months they get fed by the mostlybritish tourists who think they are being kind to the catswhile actually they are harming the cats. when all the tourists have gone after october there is nobody to feed them and since all summer long they got thir food from the tourists they do not know any other way to get foood therfore will starve to death. the greek locals think poisoning them is a much more humane way for them to die. the best way in which you can help the cats is by making it aware that people should NOT feed the cats. hope this helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, it doesn't help! Feed the cats. I would that they were shown some care and affection for a summer than go through the whole of their short, miserable lives without ever having known any kindness. The way that people treat their animals speaks volumes about them as human beings. There are plenty of people in the UK that should be ashamed of themselves as well as masses of people all over the so-called 'civilised' world.

    ReplyDelete